Tuesday 29 March 2016

Diary of a Recovering Procrastinator (S01E01)

pro|cras¦tin|ate

[prə(ʊ)ˈkrastɪneɪt]

VERB

Delay or postpone action; put off doing something

Two days in the making. That took long enough. Getting started when you've been as bad a procrastinator as me is always the biggest challenge. You put off finding the right words till tomorrow, then the next day and the next and before you realize it you've been talking about starting a blog post series for two months from the date you originally hatched the idea.

What drives a procrastinator? Is it a lack of drive? Is it in your blood or did you pick it up somewhere along the way? From experience it feels like a combination of both. If you have self esteem issues or low confidence, you will put off what anything that challenges you.

I liked a girl back in my younger days. As a teen, she was a sight to be hold. My friend and I were both had the hots for her but I had first 'dibs’. Pretty juvenile concept this dibs thing but it worked in getting my mate to allow me to go first. Unfortunately, my low self esteem resulted in me always putting off asking her out because I was terrified she'd turn me down. Well, I blew my dibs, she dated my friend and rest is history. I figured I had more time and that is what most procrastinators think. We roll over a task every time it comes up until the deadline is passed.

How do you break a habit that ties into your character make up? Maybe not break it but reduce it to an absolute minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment